These are the first christmas cookies of the season! Normally, I’m not really a fan of sugar cookies but putting jam in them made them a lot better, and not as overwhelmingly sweet. They were really easy to make.
I got the recipe here, and just clicked through to the basic vanilla dough recipe.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (omit if making thumbprints, ball cookies, or spritz cookies)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- chopped walnuts/pistachios/sanding sugar.
-Pre-heat oven to 350
1. Make the cookie dough:
a. Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
b. Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy.
c. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low.
d. Add flour mixture, and beat until combined.
2. Roll the cookies in to one inch balls, and roll in chopped nuts or sugar. Press your finger into the middle. Place them on a cookie sheet covered in wax/ parchment paper.
3. Put them in the refrigerator for a 1/2 hour.
4. Bake for 7 minutes
5. take out of oven, and use a wooden spoon to punch down the holes again, then put back in the oven for another 7-9 minutes.
6. Punch down the holes with the wooden spoon for a last time then let them cool.
7. Once cool, spoon the jam into the holes, then let them sit in the refrigerator for another half hour to let them set.